Just a short update and a small reflection.
At this stage nothing set in stone, still talking to a few people and looking at the jobs on offer.
My review of next steps has me looking in two different directions both equally interesting; IT project management ideally in HR Technology (either vendor or customer) or advise and consulting most likely with a vendor or consulting firm. Both options interest me and I think allow my skills to be used to add value to an organisation.
I have applied for a number of jobs and while none have been a 100% match to my skill set I have been interested in the deafening silence from recruiters. The ATS talks to me on application but to date not a single follow up either automated or personal. Not surprise by this as the roles are not a 100% match, however I had expected something. The general application process has been fairly painless each time but a few thoughts:
- Cover letters, I really hate not knowing who I am addressing the cover letter. This anonymous recruiter ends up with “Sir or Madam” which just does not feel right, nor is it personal which is my style.
- Cover letters take the most time in the application process I think they are very important as they allow you to highlight how your skills can meet specific requirements outlined in the job ad.
- Many job ads are uninspiring and some even turned me off applying because they seems so dull. Now this could be a good thing as if the ad reflects the culture of the organisation, there is a self selection process taking place. This is bad if the ad reflects the recruiter’s culture and not that of their client’s as I suspect on a few occasions.
- Job ads still have typos and many I find lack sufficient detail to work out what the role does other than generic “manage projects”.
- Some job ads have so stringent must haves I wonder if there are candidates out there to match.
- The actual application process has tended to be 50% through the job boards own tool and 50% through the advertiser’s ATS.
- Employers seem to use their ATS for direct applications, recruiters the job boards tools.
- Only a few ATS’s have asked me to write “War and Peace” or answer many questions.
I suspect in the next few weeks I will find a role and will certainly update once it is set in stone.