Over the last couple of weeks I have been working on a couple of small side projects, one of which is a services to get your Direct Messages and @Replies sent directly to your mobile phone via SMS, Tweet2SMS. Basically this is to replace the service that Twitter shutdown about 3 weeks ago for users outside of the US, Canada, UK & India.
The service has been running in a private beta for a couple of weeks and earlier this week I opened the beta up to anyone who wants to register. You still need to request an invite code, but they are distributed automatically based on service volume every hour.
Some of the features are:
- Sends you an SMS when you receive a Direct Message via Twitter
- Sends you an SMS when someone mentions you on Twitter using the @Reply syntax
- Ability to set custom times when you want both Direct Messages and @Replies sent to your phone
- Ability to snooze your whole account for a specified period, for when you are in that very important meeting
- Ability to control your account by sending a Direct Message to @tweet2sms:
- Account On – Turns your account on. Optional parameter for the number of hours you want your account on or the word Today which turns the account on until 3am the following day.
- Account Off – Turns your account off, which means you will no longer receive any messages
- Track On – Turns tracking of @Replies to your user name on, a word of warning if you are popular you will run out of SMS credits quickly. Optional parameter for the number of hours you want your account on or the word Today which turns the account on until 3am the following day.
- Track Off – Turns tracking off, you get the idea.
- Sleep 30 – Sleeps all SMS notices for 30 minutes
- Sleep 60 – Sleeps all SMS notices for 60 minutes
- Sleep 90 – Sleeps all SMS notices for 90 minutes
- Sleep 120 – Sleeps all SMS notices for 120 minutes
- Sleep Off – Cancels a previously requested sleep command
- Help – Lets you know what you can do
- All SMS messages are sent with a reminder as to how many credits you have left on your account