I am always amazed at the power popular bloggers have and the conversation they create. Back on 16 June 2005 I posted about getting my daily del.icio.us links posting directly to my blog, in an attempt to create a linkblog. I even posted to the WordPress forums about the setting I used and left it at that. Every now and then (about once every 3 or 4 days) I find some links that I feel are worth and add them to my del.icio.us account and they appear in my blog that evening.
Today I was reading up on how to increase traffic to your blog through a post of WordPress and SEO, one hint Update Your Blog Daily, with a link on how to set it up. I clicked and found Kevin Lim’s post From Del.icio.us to WordPress: How to automatically post daily links. What struck me instantly was at the bottom of his post this “Hat tip to mspecht from the WordPress Support Forum.“ That’s me!
In looking at the post further Kevin has 186 responses to his post, and it has been viewed 18, 506 times! My post on the same subject, zero responses and viewed only a smaller percentage of times in comparison. His post appears 5th on Google for the search “daily del.icio.us posts to wordpress“, where as my post appears at number 24. Kevin also has a Technorati ranking of 3,463 to my 52,445.
Things I have learnt based on this experience:-
- Traffic tends to make drive more traffic
- My post title was very poor, something I tend to do quite often
- I missed an opportunity to provide a “How To” on the topic
- I completely missed Kevin’s initial post as I do not have a Technorati Watch List for the term mspecht
- Just because no one responds to a post or idea does not make it void.