Here is a really really cool new tool, ZoomIn, thanks to Cam & Rich from G’Day World for the pointer. ZoomIn is an Australian mapping solution that is mashed up with social networking and a photo sharing site. Users can create places, upload photos and add comments.
The mapping software is very good, personally I find it better than whereis I am planning on using it from now on.
Some thoughts on usage:-
- Cool places to eat and drink
- Pictures and places for tourists to visit
- An Australian version of the New York Google Maps junk collection mashup GarbageScout (background info here, here)
- Information about your local area
- Online neighbourhood watch
- Some smart cookie might even look at using it as a dating site
The list goes on, if you are in Australia have a look at the tool.
A couple of suggestions include RSS feeds of places or photo tags, and maybe allow users to enter the URL of a photo instead of having to upload it, or being able to email in photos with the address as the subject.