Train issues in Melbourne

A couple of years ago, before our big move to Melbourne, I had to put up with the Sydney train system. I would spend 3 – 4 hours commuting in and out of work due to cancellations and delays.  Eventually one person had enough and called for action, we all refused to pay for a day, the government caved in and gave us all free travel for the day.

Over the last 6 months the Melbourne train system has gone through the same process as Sydney and is now as bad if not worse than Sydney was. My wife has been experiencing the pain this time as I get to drive into work :-).

Today I read James Farmer’s account of the poor service and found lots of comments from commuters who are just as pissed off.  There is now a call for 1st March to be a no payment day, have a look in the comments for Mark Porter.

To quote Justine in the comments “MARCH ONE should definitely be a day of action.”

Count me in, I will even catch the train that day just to have Connex lose money on my ticket :-). (Connex has been having troubles overseas as well.)

3 thoughts on “Train issues in Melbourne

  1. While a day of action in the form of not buying a ticket is good in theory it will actually do little.

    Under the privatisation arrangements signed by the current Bracks Government, Melbourne’s rail operator Connex gains 40% of any fare sales, while tram and bus operators receive the other 60%.

    The current braking issue is just the latest of ongoing saga of problems surrounding Melbourne’s rail network. Ultimately it is the State Government that is responsible for this deteriorating situation.

    Alex Makin

  2. Michael,

    An election certainly would provide the best avenue for people to provide feedback in regard to the ongoing public transport debacles. Unfortunately an election is not scheduled until 2010.

    In the interim it is imperative that people contact their local MPs and the Public Transport Minister requesting that the government resolve the ongoing public transport difficulties and to take the responsibility to clean up the mess they largely created.


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: